Friday, May 3, 2013

Back in Blogger Land & Rolex Dressage

Hello everyone!  Yes I know it's been a loooooong time since I posted, but I have good excuses... really I do.

On Friday 4/19, I went out to the farm to lunge Alex and much to my chagrin he was LAME!  With all the abscess drama, I immediately went into panic mode.  Saturday morning my mom came out with me to watch him go and confirmed that he looked off in the right front.  I was thinking it was another abscess, after all, that foot had bourne a lot of pressure during the abscess disaster, but I wasn't 100% sure.  I called the vet and he came out to take a look, agreeing that he saw something in the right front.  Hoof testing revealed that Alex was sore in the outside quarter.  I got some bute and GastroGuard, called the farrier to yank the shoe and hunkered down for another abscess.  Fast forward to Monday morning and the arrival of my farrier.  I asked him to hoof test Alex again.  This time there wasn't any soreness.  He asked me to jog Alex for him in the grass and Alex promptly tried to stand up on his hind legs, hop and bite me all at once.  Yeah... he was miraculously no longer lame... damn horse :-)

Fast forward again to Friday 4/26 and my first day of Rolex.  My weekend started with a bang...literally.  S and I were packed and ready to head off to the Horse Park to start our Rolex extravaganza, but made a detour out to the farm to give Alex some U-7.  We were driving down a back road to the farm behind a furniture truck when what turned out to be a large very dead branch hit my windshield.  It sounded like an explosion and elicited a few choice words from both S and I. 

No Bueño

Thankfully neither of us was anything but stunned and my awesome hubby came to the rescue and dealt with getting the car towed to the body shop so we could high-tail it to Rolex.

We missed the morning horses, but got to see some of the best rides in the afternoon.  Of course I took pictures, my favorites are below.

William Fox-Pitt and Chili Morning


Andrew Nicholson and Quimbo

Friday was also my big shopping day (crowds are thinner) and let me tell you, Alex really cleaned up.  He got a new snazzy every day halter with a name plate, a grooming halter with a name plate (the one S had previously bought for us), new square saddle pads and a new Thin Line half-pad with fleece roll (I've been drooling over it for a while now).  I got some Rolex swag and a new pair of Thin Line half-chaps which are uber comfy!  That's about all I could carry and all my bank account could stand.

Alex in his snazzy new halter

Rolex cross-country pics coming in the next post!

1 comment: