So the weekend was up and down. Alex was very very good, but I think maybe we overdid it with the canter work the last week or so. Sunday's ride was a quiet obedient one, but Alex just didn't feel right. He wasn't lame, but he also wasn't super forward and there wasn't much suspension. I looked around at his rear and it seemed like he was travelling with his tail tucked... rut roh... I decided to cut the ride short in favor of a mini hack around the property. As soon as we left the arena, his tail came back up ... this is better ... then we called it day. After un-tacking, I jogged him, checked his legs, checked his back and everything seemed ok.
Sooooo, basically I think we did a little too much in the Stubben (I had been warned it would not be a good solution on a permanent basis due to it's age) and he's starting down the soreness road again...[insert flatline noise here]...
This means I am going to totally back off until the new saddle gets here for the trial. Today he had his meds, had some BOT time and got lunged with lots of long and low. Tomorrow he gets a day off and if the saddle still isn't here on Wednesday we'll have another night of meds, BOT and lunging. I just really don't want him all screwed up again when this saddle arrives.
Seriously... this saddle better work, otherwise, it's back to the drawing board :-/